News

Mark Selby Planning Return After Injury

World champion Mark Selby will head the field when the English Open comes to Barnsley for the first time in October. 
Selby has missed the start of the current season due to a broken toe but is set to return to the baize later this month.

And the world number one is already looking forward to the first of the season’s Home Nations series, which will run from October 16 to 22 at the Barnsley Metrodome.

The tournament was new to the calendar last year and took place in Manchester, and now moves to South Yorkshire.

The world ranking event will feature 128 players battling for a top prize of £70,000.

Any player who can win all four Home Nations events – with the other three to take place in Belfast, Glasgow and Cardiff – will land a massive £1 million bonus.

“I definitely plan to play in the English Open,” said Selby, who conquered the Crucible for the third time in May by beating John Higgins in the World Championship final.

“I didn’t get far with my attempt to win the £1 million last season, I lost in the second round of the first event. So hopefully I can go further this time.”

Selby had to spend three weeks with a special boot on his foot after suffering the toe injury at home.

“I was in my snooker room when I dropped a big piece of glass on my foot,” said the 34-year-old from Leicester.

“I knew I’d done something bad so I went to hospital, they did an X-Ray and said I’d broken my big toe. The doctor actually said I was lucky not to lose the toe.

“I had to wear a special protective boot for three weeks and they said it would take four to six weeks to heal.

“So I was hobbling around at home for a while. I had to pull out of the Riga Masters but I’m lucky it didn’t happen at a busier time of the season or just before the World Championship.

“I could still have played by limping around the table but it would have been difficult.”

Selby had the best season of his career in 2016/17, winning five ranking titles including the UK Championship and World Championship, and stretching his vast lead at the top of the world rankings.

“It will be very difficult to replicate that,” he admitted.

“To win five events in one season was more than I expected. But there’s no danger of me taking my foot off the gas – that will only happen when I stop enjoying it.

“I love competing and I will be practising as hard as ever this season.”

Asked for his favourite win of last season, Selby named his 13-3 demolition of Marco Fu in the quarter-finals at the Crucible, in which he made three centuries and seven more breaks over 50.

“Marco was one of the form players at the time, so to beat him with a session to spare was a great win for me.”

“I had a spell of three or four frames where I didn’t miss a ball, and to play like that in Sheffield was some feeling.”

Related News

Alfie Burden Came Through A Nerve Shredding Battle With David Gilbert To Save His Professional Status

Many Many Happy Returns Of The Day Joy Mehra

At The Age Of 42, Ronnie O Sullivan Enjoyed Arguably The Best Season Of His 26-year Career In 2017/18.

Selby Is Also A Prolific Break-builder And Has Compiled More Than 500-century Breaks

A Look At The Total Number Of 147 Breaks Ever Scored In Snooker History And Who Made Them.

Lee Walker, Who Has Gone From Making His Maiden Ranking Semi-final Appearance Witness Close Friend Mark Williams Lift A Third Crucible Crown.

Jones Was The First Indian To Be A World Champion In Any Sport.

Chris Wakelin Is Hoping That Making His World Championship Debut Can Inspire Him To Lift A Maiden Ranking Title

Aditya Mehta Is The First Indian Player To Achieve 147

Eurosport Snooker Commentator David Hendon Has Become An Acclaimed Playwright.

Sam Craigie Bounced Back Immediately At Q School Last Month To Claim A Fresh Two-year Card.

20 Different Countries Represented By The 129 Players On The World Snooker Tour In 2018/19.

Since The Conception Of The Professional Tour, Elite Level Snooker Has Been 'striving For Perfection'

Could The 147th Maximum Break In Snooker History Be Made Next Season?

Kamal Chawla Stays No.1 After Finishing Both The Camps Of National 6 Reds Men

Top 10 Ranking Risers Who Made Biggest Move Up During The 2017/18 Season

See Top Stars In Preston Next Month

Heartiest Congratulations To Amee Kamani Who Ranked No.1 At 6red Women

Players Who Will Compete On The World Snooker Tour During The 2018/19 Season.

Brandon Sargeant Won The First Challenge Tour Event Of The Season, Beating Luke Simmonds 3-1 In The Final In Burton

Challenge Tour Event One Results

D88.com To Sponsor Snooker' S European Masters

Challenge Tour Event One Draw And Format

12 Players To Earn A Two-year World Snooker Tour Card

Challenge Tour Prize Money