GEET SETHI-THE TRUE CHAMPION OF GREEN BAIZE
Today on 3rd October’1992 Geet Sethi lifted his First World Professional Billiards Title.
Geet Siriram Sethi is born on 17 April 1961. He was born in Punjabi family in Delhi and grew up in Ahmedabad. He dominated the sport throughout much of the 1990s. He is a six-time winner of the professional-level and a three-time winner of the amateur World Championships, and holder of two world records, in English billiards.
His brilliance is self explanatory with the list of Titles and World Records as mentioned below:-
World Professional Billiards Championship Titles
- 1992: Won (beat Mike Russell, 2529–718)
- 1993: Won (beat Mike Russell, 2139–1140)
- 1995: Won (beat Devendra Joshi, 1661–931)
- 1998: Won (beat Mike Russell, 1400–1015)
- 2006: Won (beat England's Lee Lagan, 2073–1057)
- World Amateur Billiards Champion: 1985, 1987, 2001
- Gold Medalist, 13th Asian Games, Bangkok 1998
- Asian Billiards Champion: 1987
- National Billiards Champion: 1982, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1997, 1998
- National Snooker Champion: 1985, 1986, 1987 and 1988
He made a147-point break in snooker at the 1989 National Snooker Championships held in Guntur, Andhra Pradesh. He was the first amateur to achieve this record.
Sethi being a recipient of India's highest sporting award, the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna for 1992-1993 and has also been conferred both the Padma Shri and the Arjuna Award in 1986, never leave his humbleness and simplicity. He is a thorough gentleman and true brand ambassador of the game not only in India but in the entire World.